How do I Apply for STEAM?
We welcome students from all over the district who are interested in a STEAM education.
The 2021-2022 Kindergarten Lottery application deadline was March 12, 2021. If you are interested in the STEAM Academy at Haskell, please complete the interest form by clicking on the box below, under 'non-lottery application'.
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE STEAM ACADEMY KINDERGARTEN LOTTERY AT HASKELL YOU MUST COMPLETE BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Complete an application at the RPS 205 Welcome Center (501 7th Street, Rockford, IL 61104, 2nd floor) by Friday, March 12, 2021
- Parent/Guardian must attend one mandatory orientation. All orientations will be hosted via zoom during the times listed below. Please click the STEAM Lottery Zoom Meeting button below to join. Attendance forms will be digitally completed by the person attending at the end of the orientation session.
Mandatory Orientation Dates (must attend ONE)
- Wednesday, January 27, 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, January 28, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 24, 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, February 25, 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 17, 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 18, 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 1 3:00 p.m.
How Seats are Filled
A computerized, random lottery is run in April for students who applied and whose parent/guardian attended an orientation. Sibling priority is given to students living in the same home as students who are already enrolled in the program (pre-kindergarten through 4th grade). Sibling preference does not apply to applicants for the upcoming year whose only sibling is currently enrolled in 5th grade.
As limited seats become available, they are filled from eligible students on the interest list. Interest form responses are also considered. Families interested in the STEAM Academy at Haskell after open application dates are closed may fill out an interest form at the Welcome Center. Interest forms are time stamped, and an interest list is maintained in this order.
A lottery waitlist is created and each student is assigned a number.
When all lottery waitlist students have been placed the interest list is used to place students. Sibling preference or prior STEAM/STEM experience within a year, a mandatory orientation appointment at the school and interest form responses are considered when placing students.
K-5 Interest Forms can be completed by clicking on the link below, or by contacting the school, for students entering grades 1-4.
Interested Students in Grades 1-5
- Students from any zone may fill out an application.
- Limited seats may be available, with wait lists at some grade levels.
- Complete an application at the RPS 205 Welcome Center.
- A mandatory orientation appointment is scheduled with the principal as seats become available; sibling preference, prior experience and interest in the program are considered for placement.